What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does PLOS Mean?PLOS means "Parents Looking Over Shoulder" or "Public Library Of Science."
Parents Looking Over ShoulderThe abbreviation PLOS is commonly used by children and teenagers to let friends know that a parent or guardian is close enough to read an on-screen conversation. PLOS acts as a warning not to type anything that adults would disapprove of and indicates that the sender may abruptly change the subject or end the conversation.
PLOS is one of many abbreviations used by children and teenagers to alert their friends to the presence of adults. Others include:
Public Library Of SciencePLOS is also used to refer to the "Public Library Of Science," which is based in San Francisco, California. PLOS is a non-profit science, technology and medicine publisher and advocacy organization, with a library of open access journals and other scientific literature.
Image for PLOSWhen I write PLOS, I mean this: PLOS also means "Parents Looking Over Shoulder."
Summary of Key Points
First Definition for PLOSPLOS means "Parents Looking Over Shoulder." This is the most common definition for PLOS on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter.
|Definition:||Parents Looking Over Shoulder|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Second Definition for PLOSPLOS also means "Public Library Of Science."
|Definition:||Public Library Of Science|
4: Difficult to guess
Examples of PLOS in SentencesHere are examples of PLOS being used in conversations:
- Gordon: What did you do with the car?
- Jack: PLOS. Nothing yet. I am going to ask mom if I can clean it to earn some extra money. (Here, PLOS means "Parents Looking Over Shoulder.")
- Albert: Would you like all of your research to be openly available?
- Chris: Yes. I am going to pass it all to PLOS. (Here, PLOS means "Public Library Of Science.")
An Academic Look at PLOSWhether used with the meaning "Parents Looking Over Shoulder" or "Public Library Of Science," PLOS is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Pee Ell Oh Ess"). However, it is not usually spoken using its letters. The abbreviation PLOS is for efficiency in writing, rather than for efficiency in speech.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we would not have needed to use PLOS with the meaning "Parents Looking Over Shoulder."
The "Public Library Of Science" did not exist before the digital era.
Example of PLOS Used in a Text
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what PLOS means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?