What Does Quiet Firing Mean?Quiet Firing means "surreptitiously forcing an employee to quit."
Quiet Firing refers to actions taken by an employer to surreptitiously coerce an unwanted employee into quitting their job voluntarily. Such actions could include:
- Denying the employee promotion or increases in wages and/or benefits.
- Allocating them tasks and responsibilities above or below their level of expertise or responsibility.
- Micromanaging the simplest tasks.
- Allocation of an unsuitable workspace.
The opposite of Quiet Firing is Quiet Quitting.
Image for Quiet Firing
When I write Quiet Firing, I mean this:
Quiet Firing is an unfair business practice.
Summary of Key Points
Definition for Quiet Firing"Surreptitiously Forcing an Employee To Quit" is the definition of Quiet Firing on social media apps, such as TikTok and LinkedIn, as well as in texts and on chat forums.
|Definition:||Surreptitiously Forcing an Employee To Quit|
An Academic Look at Quiet FiringQuiet Firing is a neologism (i.e., a newly coined word or phrase which has emerged into everyday use).
A neologism can be:
- A new meaning for an existing word (e.g., mood, sick).
- A completely new word (e.g., oversharers).
- A new combination of existing words (e.g., digital detox).
Example of Quiet Firing Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See Also21 (quit) ACT YOUR WAGE (live within your means, only put in the effort to match your salary, stop behaving like a boss) BIG QUIT (employees voluntarily leaving jobs en masse) CYBERLOAFING (taking a break from work to surf the web or check social media) CYBERSLACKING (surfing the web or checking social media in work time) GOLDBRICKING (shirking or skiving) GREAT RESIGNATION (employees voluntarily leaving jobs en masse)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.