What Does RTFD Mean?RTFD means "Read the F**king Description." The abbreviation RTFD is an irritated response to someone asking a question when they shouldn't because the answer to their question is apparent from documentation already supplied. For example:
- Mark: Will we be staying in a twin room and will there be aircon and parking?
- Simon: RTFD!
Image for RTFD
When I write RTFD, I mean this:
The image shows people reading the description of the task.
Summary of Key Points"Read the F**king Description" is the most common definition for RTFD on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Read the F**king Description|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of RTFD in SentencesHere are examples of RTFD being used in conversations:
- Anna: So what exactly do I have to do each day?
- Karen: You've got the job contract so just RTFD.
- Saul: I have some questions for the boss about the meeting.
- Ron: You'd better RTFD before you ask them.
An Academic Look at RTFDRTFD is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Arr Tee Eff Dee), but as this is harder to say than "Read the f***ing description," it is not often uttered using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation RTFD is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
RTFD is used as an imperative (i.e., an order) and can stand alone as a complete sentence.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "do your research" or "look at the description" instead of RTFD.
Example of RTFD Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoDEAR (Drop Everything And Read) L2R (Learn To Read) RTFI (Read The F**king Instructions) RTFM (Read The F**king Manual) RTFQ (Read The F**king Question) RTFT (Read The F***ing Thread) RTFT (Read The F**king Topic) RTM (Read The Manual) WAEFRD (When All Else Fails, Read Directions)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.