What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does RTM Mean?RTM means "Read the Manual."
The abbreviation RTM is used with the meaning "Read the Manual" as an instruction to a questioner to find the answer for themselves. RTM often expresses irritation on the part of the sender and implies that they feel that the questioner is trying to take advantage of them when they could easily have found an answer by reading the instructions or doing a bit of research. RTM is also often used when the answer to a question is blatantly obvious.
The abbreviation RTFM (Read The F**king Manual) is an even less polite way of saying the same thing. Other abbreviations with a similar meaning include:
Image for RTMWhen I write RTM, I mean this: RTM. (And stop asking stupid questions.)
Summary of Key Points"Read the Manual" is the most common definition for RTM on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Read the Manual|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of RTM in SentencesHere are examples of RTM being used in conversations:
- Liam: How do you send pictures?
- Noel: It's your new phone, not mine. RTM. (Here, RTM implies that the sender feels the questioner is being lazy.)
- Stevie: Why is the boss being such a dick this morning?
- Tom: RTM. That's what bosses do on Mondays. (Here, RTM implies that the sender feels the answer is obvious.)
An Academic Look at RTMThe abbreviation RTM is typically used as an imperative (i.e., an order).
As it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Arr Tee Em"), RTM is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said "Read the Manual," or something like "Find Out Yourself" instead of using the abbreviation RTM.
Example of RTM Used in a Text
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what RTM means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?