What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does RUOK Mean?RUOK means "Are You OK?".
The abbreviation RUOK is used with the meaning "Are You OK?", which is an interrogative phrase, typically used as a genuine enquiry as to someone's wellbeing.
Unlike abbreviations such as HAY (How Are You?) and HAYD (How Are You Doing?), RUOK usually expresses concern for the other person and implies that an answer is expected. It is often used following a traumatic event or when someone's behaviour is strange or out-of-character.
R U OK? is an Australian suicide prevention organisation founded in 2009. Every September, R U OK? organises a national day of action called "R U OK? Day."
Image for RUOKWhen I write RUOK, I mean this: RUOK is usually a genuine question.
Summary of Key Points"Are You OK?" is the most common definition for RUOK on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Are You OK?|
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of RUOK in SentencesHere are examples of RUOK being used in conversations:
- Miriam: You're quiet today. RUOK?
- Joel: Yes thanks. I'm just tired. (Here, RUOK expresses genuine concern.)
- Mel: You sit down, I'll do the dishes.
- Les: What?! RUOK? (Here, RUOK expresses surprise at behaviour that is out of character.)
An Academic Look at RUOKRUOK plays the role of an interrogative sentence (i.e., a question), but it is commonly seen without a question mark. It can be written "RUOK?" or "RUOK".
As it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Arr Yoo Oh Kay"), RUOK is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have just said "Are You OK" or something like "Do You Feel Alright?" instead of using the abbreviation RUOK.
Example of RUOK Used in a Text
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what RUOK means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?