SITUATIONSHIP (Dating Term)
What Does Situationship Mean?Situationship means "Undefined Romantic Relationship."
A situationship is a relationship that is undefined or not clearly defined in terms of commitment, exclusivity, or expectations, but may include romantic or sexual involvement.
Unlike friends with benefits (FWB), which refers to a relationship where two individuals who are friends also engage in sexual activity without being in a romantic relationship, a situationship may involve romantic feelings or expectations, but lack clear commitment or exclusivity and not have a long-term time horizon.
Not everyone who is in a situationship is necesarrily where they want to be romantically. Singer and Tiktoker Savanna Leigh has an entertaining take on situationships:
@savannaleighofficial the girls that get it, get it🙃🙃 #fyp #situationship #singersongwriter #independentartist #originalsong ♬ head games - Savanna Leigh
Image for Situationship
When I write Situationship, I mean this:
"Undefined Romantic Relationship"
Summary of Key Points"Undefined Romantic Relationship" is the most common definition for Situationship on online dating sites, such as Craigslist, Tinder, Zoosk, and Match.com, as well as on social media sites such as TikTok.
|Definition:||Undefined Romantic Relationship|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of Situationship in SentencesHere are examples of situationship being used in conversations:
- Toni: Are you and Sam getting serious now?
- Jo: No, it's just a situationship. I'm going home at the end of this semester and Sam's staying here, so there's no point in getting too serious about things.
- Lee: Can I meet your parents soon.
- Ali: Oh Lee, we don't need to do all that. You know that this is a situationship for us. Let's not complicate things.
An Academic Look at SituationshipAs it is formed by merging two words into one, situationship is a portmanteau word. It is a combination of the words situation and (relation)ship.
Situationship is also a neologism, i.e., a newly coined term or expression that has not yet become widely used or recognized in a particular language or culture. Neologisms are often created to describe a new concept, idea, or phenomenon, and can be:
- A new meaning for an existing word (e.g., mood, sick).
- A completely new word (e.g., oversharers).
- A new combination of existing words (e.g., digital detox, situationship).
Example of Situationship Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoNew ways to say I love you Digital Dating Abbreviations, Acronyms & Slang Terms BREADCRUMBING (sending messages in order to lead someone on, but with no intent of a serious relationship) BROMANCE (very close non-sexual relationship between men) CUFF (hit lightly, make up as you go along, tie down in a relationship) CURVE (avoid a romantic relationship) SHIP (relationship) SKINSHIP (intimate non-sexual contact) TEXTLATIONSHIP (a relationship based only on digital contact)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.