What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
What Does SHIP Mean?SHIP means "Relationship."
The term SHIP is popular in fanfiction cirles and refers to a (usually romantic) "Relationship" between characters in a book, film, TV series, manga, or anime.
In this context, SHIP is a noun. However, SHIP is also often used as a verb, when it means to endorse a "Relationship." Usually, the SHIP in question is not canon in the original story, but is promoted or endorsed by fans. Such SHIPs include those between Mulder and Scully in the X-Files TV series, and between Harry and Hermione in The Harry Potter stories.
Summary of Key Points"Relationship" is the most common definition for SHIP on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
Adults and Teenagers
Image for SHIPWhen I write SHIP, I mean this:
Hermione and Harry were never a couple.
Examples of SHIP in SentencesHere are examples of SHIP being used in conversations:
- Tony: I think I'm starting to like Brad.
- Jordan: I totally SHIP you both!
- Tony: I always SHIPPED Dumbledore and McGonagall.
- Jordan: Don't be silly! J K Rowling said Dumbledore was gay.
An Academic Look at SHIPSHIP is a shortened version of relationship and is therefore a contraction. Contractions tend to be formed in one of three ways:
- Using letters from the start of the word (e.g., AMP from amplifier).
- Using letters from the start and end of the word (e.g., Dr from Doctor).
- Using an apostrophe to replace a letter or letters (e.g., can't from cannot).
Example of SHIP Used in a Text
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Did you know a slang term that we've missed?