What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does W8AM Mean?W8AM means "Wait a minute" or "Wait a moment." W8AM is used to ask for a pause in a conversation.
Of note, the number 8 is used in numerous other terms that use the "eight" sound (e.g., GR8 (Great), M8 (Mate), SK8 (Skate)).
Of note, W8AM can also be written WAM (Wait a minite).
Image for W8AMWhen I write W8AM, I mean this: W8AM means wait a minute/moment.
Summary of Key Points"Wait a Minute" is the most common definition for W8AM on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Wait a Minute|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of W8AM in SentencesHere are examples of W8AM being used in conversations:
- Tina: I'm stuck in traffic. Can you W8AM?
- Carla: Okay, hurry up though.
- Tash: W8AM. There's someone at the door.
- Carly: Okay.
An Academic Look at W8AMW8AM is defined as a cyber term because some of its characters are used as substitutes for letters. Most cyber terms were introduced to reduce the number of key strokes required to write the word, but since the arrival of predictive texting and keyboards on mobile devices, this efficiency is no longer required. Nevertheless, cyber terms are still regularly used to make messages more entertaining or to express individuality. Cyber terms differ from icons because they are not pictorial representations.
W8AM is typically used as an imperative sentence. For example:
- W8AM. I'll get my coat. (Here, W8AM is an imperative sentence, i.e., an order.)
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "give me a minute" instead of W8AM.
Using Numbers in TextsThis video shows the different ways that numbers are used in "text speak":
Example of W8AM Used in a Text
"Cyber Speak" TestYou now know what W8AM means, but are you good at Cyber Speak? Well, let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?