What is a COVIDIOT? Can sounds give you brain tingles? What is a man looking for younger girls called? What is an "Unexplained Drinking Injury (UDI)"? What does QQ mean? P911 means parents are watching! Why does <4 mean "more than love"? What does DIAMOND HANDS mean? Send an encrypted message. Learn all the Snapchat emojis.
Search our site
What Does WDUM Mean?WDUM (What Do You Mean?) is mostly used in its literal sense (i.e., to ask for an explanation of something previously said). However, it can also be used to recognize a cheeky suggestion (e.g, an innuendo). In this second meaning, WDUM carries a connotation like "Me? Whatever do you mean?" For example:
- Tony: You're not unpopular with the ladies.
- Jordan: WDUM? (Here, Person A is implying that Person B has had lots of girlfriends, and Person B is recognizing Person A's allusion to this fact.)
Image for WDUMWhen I write WDUM, I mean this: Actor Leslie Phillips often played cads who would say lines like "I'm sure I have no idea what you mean, madam" after a deliberate innuendo.
Summary of Key Points"What Do You Mean?" is the most common definition for WDUM on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||What Do You Mean?|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of WDUM in SentencesHere are examples of WDUM being used in conversations:
- Tony: I cannot assemble this Ikea wardrobe.
- Jordan: WAEFRD!
- Tony: WDUM?
- Jordan: When all else fails, read directions! (Here, WDUM is being used in its literal sense.)
- Tony: Is that a new shirt? Are you on the prowl?
- Jordan: WDUM? (Here, WDUM is being used with the connotation "Me? Whatever do you mean?".)
An Academic Look at WDUMWDUM plays the role of an interrogative sentence (i.e., a question), but it is commonly seen without a question mark. In other words, it can be written "WDUM?" or "WDUM".
WDUM is an initialism abbreviation. Technically, this means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Dublyu Dee Yoo Em), but as this is harder to say than "What do you mean," it is not often spoken using its letters. In other words, the abbreviation WDUM is for efficiency in writing and not efficiency in speech.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have written something like "Please explain yourself" or "I'm sure I have no idea what you mean, sir" instead of WDUM.
Example of WDUM Used in a Text
Help Us To Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?