What Does BBW Mean?BBW means "Big Beautiful Woman."
More specifically, the term "Big Beautiful Woman" is used to describe a woman with a large figure and a pretty face. It is an empowering and politically correct term for good-looking women who might previously have been described as "fat."
The abbreviation BBW is typically used as a description on dating sites or as an indexing tag on pornographic websites. Synonyms for a BBW include "big woman," "chubby woman," and "plus-sized woman."
Other terms that relate to plus-sized women include:
- BBBW (big beautiful black woman)
- PHAT (pretty, hot, and tempting)
- THICC (big, curvy, and sexy)
- THICK (big, curvy, and sexy)
Image for BBW
When I write BBW, I mean this:
This woman is big and beautiful (and apparently photoshopped).
Summary of Key Points
Definition for BBWBBW means "Big Beautiful Woman." This is the most common definition for BBW on online dating sites, such as Craigslist, Tinder, Zoosk and Match.com, as well as in texts and on chat forums.
|Definition:||Big Beautiful Woman|
4: Difficult to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of BBW in SentencesHere are examples of BBW being used in conversations:
- Tony: What do you think of that new girl in class?
- Jordan: She's gorgeous! She's definitely a BBW!
- Tony: I was reading a magazine and they called a woman a BBW. What is that?
- Jordan: It just means a Big Beautiful Woman.
An Academic Look at BBWAs it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., "Bee Bee Dublyoo"), BBW is classified as an initialism abbreviation. Initialisms are different to acronyms, which are spoken like words. The term BBW originates from the late 1970s, specifically from the publication of BBW magazine. The magazine promoted bigger women, who gradually became known as BBWs.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?The term BBW originates from before the digital era, but it has become popularized on dating and pornography websites. In other words, BBW is not a modern slang term.
Example of BBW Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoDating Terms PHAT (pretty, hot, and tempting) THICC (big, curvy, and sexy) BW (beautiful woman) 10 (perfect looking woman) WMYB (what makes you beautiful)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.