What Does GBWY Mean?GBWY means "God Be With You." It is typically used at the end of conversation as a farewell blessing. In real life (IRL), it is often expanded to "God be with you today and always" or "God be with you until we meet again." (NB: The latter was popularized by the hymn of the same name written by Jeremiah Rankin in 1880.)
While GBWY carries a connotation of "God protect you," it can also be used as a substitute for thank you, in which case it carries the connotation "God bless you."
Of interest, the term "good bye" is an abbreviated version of "God be with you."
Image for GBWY
When I write GBWY, I mean this:
GBWY (God Be With You) is the origin of "good bye."
Summary of Key Points"God Be With You" is the most common definition for GBWY on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||God Be With You|
2: Quite easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of GBWY in SentencesHere are examples of GBWY being used in conversations:
- Charlie: I'm joining the Navy on Monday.
- Jordan: GBWY (He GBWY has a meaning similar to "God protect you" or "good luck.")
- Charlie: I've cut you grass, Mrs Jones.
- Jordan: GBWY, Janice. (He GBWY has a meaning similar to "God bless you" or "thank you.")
An Academic Look at GBWYGBWY is not used as another part of speech within a wider sentence. It is used as a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement), which best translates "May God be with you."
GBWY is an initialism abbreviation. This means it is pronounced using its individual letters (i.e., Gee Bee Dublyu Why). (NB: Initialisms contrast with acronyms, which are spoken like words.)
Example of GBWY Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoAMG (ah my God) BTGOG (by the grace of God) FGS (for God's sake) FTLOG (for the love of God) GBU (God bless you) GBWY (God be with you) GBY (God bless you) MGBY (may God bless you)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.