What Does Touch Grass Mean?Touch Grass means "Reconnect With Reality."
The phrase "touch grass" implies that someone has been spending too much time in a virtual or digital world and needs to come back to the physical world to reconnect with reality.
"Touch grass" essentially means to get outside, breathe fresh air, and appreciate the natural world. It is used as a (usually) lighthearted way of encouraging someone to disconnect from their screens and engage with the physical world around them. It is not usually an actual order or instruction to make physical contact with turf. For example:
- You really believe QANON? You need to touch grass.
- You'll never get a date playing online games all day. Get out and touch grass. There's a real world out there, waiting to be discovered.
Image for Touch Grass
When I write Touch Grass, I mean this:
"Touch grass" is an exhortation to reconnect with reality, not actually touch the green stuff.
Summary of Key Points"Reconnect With Reality" is the most common definition for Touch Grass on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Reconnect With Reality|
Adults and Teenagers
An Academic Look at Touch GrassTouch grass is a slang term. Slang is informal language that consists of words, phrases, and uses of language that are often restricted to a specific context or a particular group of users. Slang is not typically used in formal or professional settings.
Touch grass is typically used as an imperative (i.e., an order). It can be followed by a period (full stop) or an exclamation mark, depending on the forcefulness of the command. However, for purposes of brevity in text-based messaging, punctuation such as exclamation marks, question marks, and even periods (full stops) are often omitted.
Example of Touch Grass Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoAFRL (away from real life) BFFR (be f*cking for real) GAFIA (get away from it all) GAJ (get a job) GAL (get a life, girl) GWI (get with it) KIR (keep it real) LMIRL (let's meet in real life) RL (real life) RLF (real life friend)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.