What Does YODO Mean?YODO means "You Only Die Once" or "You Only Dump Once."
You Only Die OnceWhen used with the meaning "You Only Die Once," the abbreviation YODO is an antonym of (i.e., it has the opposite meaning to) the phrase YOLO (You Only Live Once). In contrast to YOLO, YODO is used to describe a cautious approach to making life choices.
It is commonly believed that the term YODO was invented to criticize the type of reckless and dangerous behavior typically posted online with the hashtag #YOLO. Subsequently, #YODO has become a popular way to mock those who overuse #YOLO on social media.
You Only Dump OnceWhen used with the meaning "You Only Dump Once," YODO means that you should never get back with someone that you have jilted.
Image for YODO
When I write YODO, I mean this:
YODO also means "You Only Dump Once."
Summary of Key Points
First Definition for YODOYODO means "You Only Die Once." This is the most common definition for YODO on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and X (Twitter).
|Definition:||You Only Die Once|
Adults and Teenagers
Second Definition for YODOYODO also means "You Only Dump Once."
|Definition:||You Only Dump Once|
Adults and Teenagers
Examples of YODO in SentencesHere are examples of YODO being used in conversations:
- Hannah: Woohoo! Vodka shots and flaming Sambucca! YOLO!
- Abi: Yaye! Alcohol poisoning and renal failure! YODO. (Here, YODO means "You Only Die Once.")
- Meghan: I'm going to tell your mum exactly what I think of her stupid public duties!
- Harry: Steady on, Megs! YODO. (Here, YODO means "You Only Die Once.")
- Sharon: I'm going to get back with Jake.
- Lauren: Really? Not a good idea. YODO. As my granny always used to say. (Here, YODO means "You Only Dump Once.")
An Academic Look at YODOYODO is an acronym (i.e., an abbreviation spoken like a word). Acronyms differ from initialism abbreviations, which are pronounced using their individual letters.
YODO is typically used as a standalone declarative sentence (i.e., a statement). It is not often used as another part of speech within a wider sentence.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "Don't be stupid" instead of using YODO with the meaning "You Only Die Once."
Example of YODO Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoTC (Take Care) TCCIC (Take Care 'Cause I Care) TCFN (Take Care For Now) TCGB (Take Care, God Bless) TCOY (Take Care Of Yourself) ITAI (I'll Think About It) LMT (Let Me Think) MMT (Makes Me Think) TAI (Think About It) TBYS (Think Before You Speak) TOTT (Think On These Things) YT (You Think?) Dating Terms
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.