LOCKERING (Dating Term)
What Does Lockering Mean?Lockering means "Using Academic Studies as an Excuse for Cooling a Relationship." It is used in dating to refer to the practice of withdrawing from a romantic relationship by claiming that you wish to spend more time on your studies. For example:
- Do you really want to spend more time studying, or are you lockering me because you don't love me anymore?
- Sal is lockering Paul because she wants to spend more time with the theater group and Paul just doesn't get it.
Check out our comprehensive list of dating terms.
Image for Lockering
When I write Lockering, I mean this:
"Using Academic Studies as an Excuse for Cooling a Relationship"
Summary of Key Points"Using Academic Studies as an Excuse for Cooling a Relationship" is the most common definition for Lockering on online dating sites, such as Craigslist, Tinder, Zoosk, and Match.com, as well as in texts and on chat forums. Here's more:
|Definition:||Using Academic Studies as an Excuse for Cooling a Relationship|
4: Difficult to guess
An Academic Look at LockeringWhen used as a dating term, lockering is a slang word. Slang refers to words, phrases and uses of language that are regarded as very informal and which are often restricted to a special context or a particular group of users.
What Did We Say before Texting and Social Media?Before the digital era, we might have said something like "freezing out" instead of saying lockering.
Example of Lockering Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoNew Ways to Say I Love You BREADCRUMBING (sending messages in order to lead someone on, but with no intent of a serious relationship) CUFF (hit lightly, make up as you go along, tie down in a relationship) CURVE (avoid a romantic relationship) DTR (define the relationship) ENTANGLEMENT (complicated romantic relationship) HARD LAUNCH (explicit announcement of a romantic relationship) YODO (you only die once, you only dump once)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.