What Does OTT Mean?OTT means "Over the Top."
The abbreviation OTT stands for "over the top." In a general sense, it is widely used to describe something that is exaggerated or more extreme than what is considered usual or acceptable. For example:
- I know I was wrong, but Sam's reaction was completely OTT!
- Don't you think that outfit is a little OTT for a funeral?
In a media context, OTT refers to the delivery of film and TV content via the internet, without requiring users to subscribe to a traditional cable or satellite pay-TV service.
OTT services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video allow users to stream content directly to their devices, offering an alternative to conventional television programming.
Image for OTT
When I write OTT, I mean this:
"Over the Top"
Summary of Key Points"Over the Top" is the most common definition for OTT on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
|Definition:||Over the Top|
1: Easy to guess
Adults and Teenagers
Example of OTT Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoBULLSHIT (false, deceptive, exaggerated, or nonsensical) CAP (bullet, lie or exaggerate) EXTRA (extremely over the top) MANFLU (a man's exaggerated response to symptoms of cold or flu) MANTHRAX (a man's exaggerated response to symptoms of illness, an unwanted male suitor)
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.