What Does ESL Mean?The abbreviation ESL means "Electronic Sports League," "European Super League," and "English as a Second Language." Here is more information about each of these defintions of ESL.
Electronic Sports LeagueESL is widely used in business and in gaming to refer to the company formerly known as "Electronic Sports League." ESL is an esports organizer and production company based in Cologne, Germany. Its subsidiary ESL Play (established in 1997) is the world's largest independent league for esports.
European Super LeagueIn April 2021, 12 European football (soccer) clubs announced that they would be forming a "European Super League," which would start in August of the same year. The new ESL was only to be open to clubs invited to join, with no possibility of relegation from or promotion to the league on merit.
The world football governing body (FIFA), and all of the regional federations (including UEFA in Europe) quickly condemned the plan. Under pressure from the sport's international and national governing bodies, as well as from politicians, clubs, players, and fans, most of the clubs involved quickly withdrew from the project and it collapsed within days.
The ill-fated ESL included six of the richest (though not necessarily most successful) clubs in England, three from Italy and three from Spain. It was led by the chairman of TheSpanish club Real Madrid.
English Second LanguageIn education and training, ESL is used with the meaning "English as a Second Language." In this context ESL is the use of English by speakers of a different native language.
ESL is also known as:
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages).
- EFL (English as a Foreign Language).
- EAL (English as an Additional Language).
- ELL (English Language Learning).
- ELA (English Language Acquisition).
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language).
- TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language).
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).
Image for ESL
When I write ESL, I mean this:
"Electronic Sports League"
Summary of Key Points
First Definition of ESL"Electronic Sports League" is a very common definition for ESL on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, especially in online gaming.
|Definition:||Electronic Sports League|
Adults and Teenagers
Second Definition of ESL"European Super League" is a common definition for ESL in football (soccer) circles.
|Definition:||European Super League|
Adults and Teenagers
Third Definition of ESLIn education and training, ESL means "English as a Second Language."
|Definition:||English as a Second Language|
Adults, Teenagers, and Under 13s
Example of ESL Used in a Text
Help Us Improve Cyber Definitions
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
- Do you know a slang term that we've missed?
See AlsoLIST OF GAMING TERMS (glossary page) ASL (age, sex, location?, as hell!, American sign language) BSL (British sign language) HTML (hypertext markup language) MLS (major league soccer, my life sucks) Using the accented letters
QuizTry our fun quiz to test your knowledge of slang and texting abbreviations.
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.